2016 CORD Academic Assembly
Speaker: Christopher I. Doty, MD FAAEM FACEP
Principle- Creating learner-centered models in your residency does not have to be complex. Building a curriculum, finding opportunities for your residents, and even development or restructure of your rotations can be done in a learner-centered model. These models are preferred by learners because the focus is centered around what the learner needs, rather than what the preceptor knows or is already doing.
Key Concepts and Major Points
- Educational endeavors should begin after a learner-needs-analysis
- Using a learner-centered model can apply to creating educational modules, developing overall curriculum, planning conference topics, development or improvement of rotational experiences, and assisting residents in professional development.
- Learning begins where the learner presently is, not where the preceptor wants them to be.
- Using adult learning theory (Andragogy) can assist educators in developing effective conferences, learning plans for struggling residents, and engaging learners during lectures.
- Improving audience engagement improves evaluation and retention
- Active learning environments take more planning
Pitfalls for the educator:
- Failing to begin with the desired outcomes in mind already
- Not utilizing use of audience engagement technologies
- Not utilizing use of experiential learning
- Backslide into unidirectional information transfer
Learner Engagement Resources:
Socrative is a quiz program that allows you to poll/quiz learners in real time during your session and report those quiz results quickly and easily. It requires the learners to use a free app on their device.
Nearpod is a slide delivery program that the preceptor to integrate webpages, PDFs, videos, and quizzes into the lecture seamlessly. The learners can also be given this presentation to review at their own pace at home. It requires the learners to use a free app on their device.
Isimulate is a high-fidelity simulation system that does not require mannequins. This allows you to easily utilize simulation before, during, or after lectures to translate theory into practice immediately. Because euros net because there is no mannequin, the System is easily movable and does not require bulky learning adjuncts. The motor skills aspects of the simulation can be augmented with test trainers if needed.
Turning point is an audience response card system that allows learners to respond to cuisine and polling by use of a small battery-powered card. This can be integrated easily into PowerPoint. This product does have moderate costs associated with it.
Poll everywhere is an audience response system that utilizes the learners’ own devices and the allows the preceptor to poll or quiz the audience in real time. This is a free solution but not as smooth as turning point.
University of Kentucky, Department of Emergency Medicine
firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @PoppasPearls